A 20 day program, each day aiming to be between 5 and 30 minutes plus exercises.
There's a few stages to learning Houdini; getting into nodes and proceduralism is one, dynamics is another, vops is another. But the one that can seem the most daunting is learning vex.
This series of lessons is designed to make it less scary. It's not for total Houdini beginners; the lessons move fast and assume you know about geometry attributes, sops, and have a general understanding of how to get around Houdini. It's also not a complete coding course for vex, that's way too big a task to deal with in 20 short lessons.
Instead, this series aims to be like a phrasebook for learning a foreign language. You won't be a fluent vex master in 20 days, but the lessons cover what I use vex for in 80% of my work, and will allow you to follow along with more complex vex examples you might find elsewhere. I provide some links to other resources at the end of this series.
Special thanks to Grant Inouye for his incredible eye with proof reading, and endless patience with beta testing.
- JoyOfVex1 basic assignment, component assignment, arithmetic manipulation
- JoyOfVex2 length and distance functions, animate with @Time
- JoyOfVex3 clamp and fit, waves
- JoyOfVex4 chramp, using on attrib components, on time, on reranging outputs
- JoyOfVex5 modulo, more arithmetic tricks (quantising), but show that often a chramp is easier (eg stepped chramp);
- JoyOfVex6 point wrangle vs prim wrangle vs detail wrangle, user defined attributes
- JoyOfVex7 using the other inputs on wrangles, do things to geometry based on other geometry
- JoyOfVex8 noise, various types, how it can be scaled, vector vs scalar noise, why you might use vops here instead
- JoyOfVex9 dot and cross product, fake lighting combing normals to a surface, vector maths primer
- JoyOfVex10 relpointbbox
- JoyOfVex11 if statements
- JoyOfVex12 nearpoints, arrays
- JoyOfVex13 for loops (ties nicely into arrays)
- JoyOfVex14 creating geometry, deleting geometry, debugging vex
- JoyOfVex15 copy sop, simple instance attributes (pscale)
- JoyOfVex16 copy sop, midweight instance attributes (scale, N)
- JoyOfVex17 copy sop, orient, quaternions
- JoyOfVex18 intrinsics
- JoyOfVex19 primuv, xyzdist
- JoyOfVex20 pointclouds, further learning