I setup a Patreon page, just in case you feel like buying me a coffee or beer (or both). Want some specific content? Guilt me into making video tutorials? Buy my love: https://www.patreon.com/mattestela
6 Jan 2017
Happy new year!
- A way to take a animated object and static camera, and replicate the motion with a static object and animated camera: fakey motion control.
- Why the 9 hotkey in houdini is the best thing ever: 9 hotkey tricks
29 November 2016
End of Lego Batman is
so close. So close. here! Hooray! Go watch it.
- Here's a lowbrow way of deforming a volume.
- Use the renderstate vop to control shading.
- Basic tricks on scaling with vex and matrices.
- Example of calling vex within vops using a snippet vop .
- Heard of Dischord? Or Slack? Neither? It's basically a chatroom, but with history, different sub-rooms, good search, and if you get the right mix of people, a vibrant and engaging place to be. Mr. Nodeway has setup just such a thing, worth checking out: https://discordapp.com/invite/b8U5Hdy
23 October 2016
It's been a while! Busy at work with Lego Batman, and my learning has slowed a little as we knuckle down and get the film done. Anyway, new things:
- some stuff on rendering volumes with displacement,
- a trick for adding @v and @w to packed RBD after the first frame
- a few ways to use the add sop to make lines from points
26 June 2016
Harry Potter style pyro blendshapes: HoudiniDops#More_advecting_smoke_with_particles_.28aka_pyro_blendshapes.29
14 June 2016
A nice little example on moving particles along grid-like paths in HoudiniDops#Pops_and_grid_noise, and some updates and re-writes on the MayaToHoudini page after it got linked by SideFx on Facebook and Twitter, and my site traffic went up 10x!
6 June 2016
A long form tutorial that's taken me a while to write on The_solver_sop.
4 May 2016
A new long form tutorial, on Points_and_Verts_and_Prims.
3 May 2016
Because it's always handy to know yet more ways to rotate things, here's more on rotation with vex.
26 April 2016
Nice method to emit lots of packed primitives into a rigid body sim. HoudiniDops#Emit_packed_prims_into_RBD_sim
15 April 2016
Growing branching structures from points, with a code walkthrough. HoudiniVex#Solver_and_wrangle_for_branching_structures
28 March 2016
Grow trees with particles! HoudiniDops#Grow_trees_with_particles
Grow roads with particles! HoudiniDops#Grow_roads_with_particles
Grow weird coral curves with particles! HoudiniDops#Fake_differential_growth
A handy way to read object transforms with vex: HoudiniVex#Get_transform_of_objects_with_optransform
16 March 2016
Thanks to some feedback, I've made a getting started guide for Houdini called, strangely enough, HoudiniGettingStarted. Also started work on the next long form tutorial, this one on the smoke solver: Smoke_and_Pyro
7 March 2016
Pyro! (Well, smoke actually) Particles! Smoke and particles! Next step in my volume learnin' is making missile trails, or any sort of smoke sim that follows the path of other objects. Here's one way using the gas 'particle to field' microsolver. HoudiniDops#Advect_smoke_with_particles.
2 March 2016
Had a few new users at work, which is always handy to evaluate workflow through fresh eyes, see what things have become muscle memory and need further explaining. Realised there's a lot of UI things that I take for granted now, so HoudiniUserInterfaceTips will be an attempt to document some of them.