I setup a Patreon page, just in case you feel like buying me a coffee or beer (or both).
Most updates and new things are announced on twitter now: https://twitter.com/thecgwiki
- 2nd part of a constraint networks tutorial, to drive rbd with sops level animation: ConstraintNetworks2
- For Loops tutorial: ForLoops
- Glitch stuff in chops: HoudiniChops#Glitch_effects
- I'm no flip expert at all, but I have a vague idea of stopping odd volume loss for simple flip setups: HoudiniDops#Flip
- Making packed rbd follow target geo, aka more major lazer/method studios homages: HoudiniDops#RBD_follow_targets
- Unreal lookat/aim constraints: UnrealEd#Look_at_the_VR_camera
- Parenting things at runtime (with One Handy Tip for Vive Hand Controllers You Won't Believe!) UnrealEd#Parent_things_to_the_hand_controllers
- 'Damnit, whats a compliment node called in UE4?', and other similar questions answered: UnrealEd#Unreal_materials_vs_vops_cheat_sheet
- Against the odds, starting to get a handle on how blueprint class and object stuff works: UnrealEd#General_blueprint_musings
- How to get to files and whatnot stored in a HDA with opdef paths: HoudiniUserInterfaceTips#opdef_paths
- Add +12 frames to all your keys in the animation editor, without having to be super precise with your mouse: HoudiniUserInterfaceTips#precise_editing_of_keyframes_in_the_animation_editor
- How to create and reference code libraries for Vex with includes: HoudiniVex#Vex_includes
- How to create a 360 pano light projector in Unreal: UnrealEd#Project_360_latlong_through_a_light
- How to create a content plugin for unreal: UnrealEd#Create_a_content_plugin
Slightly off topic, but a brief review of my new VR/Houdini laptop, the MSI G63VR 7RG. GeneralUtilties#MSI_G63VR_7RG
- Have noticed in the forums and chatrooms the same questions come up over and over, so figured I'd start a HoudiniFAQ section.
- Another chops thing, this time on bones and chops: HoudiniChops#Stagger_and_offset_bones
- A mild look change; someone suggested the pure white background was a bit harsh, so its been toned down to a light gray.
- Long form tutorial on ConstraintNetworks for packed rigid body simulations.
Lego Batman VR! I've been supervising this project for the past few months, rather proud of it. Go watch it on Youtube (supports cardboard, 4k, stereo), or Facebook (positional audio, probably supports rift, not sure if its stereo), other headsets and formats should follow.
- HoudiniChops - Diving into unfamiliar subnets again, this time its chops.
- HoudiniCops - Now that I've worked out a way to write vex for compositing operations, first of a few experiments I wanna try. In this case, a latlong to cubemap converter.
- https://vimeo.com/209784546 - Fantastic tutorial on chops for rigging by Henry Dean, first one I've seen to explain this so clearly. Watch!
Eetu is one of the most generous Houdini artists around, constantly offering help on the odforce forums and updating his 'eetus lab' page with great experiments. Well he's knocked it up a notch again, and is running an (almost) daily hip blog. Check it out: https://dailyhip.wordpress.com.
As for cgwiki updates:
- How to solve(r) a Rubik's cube in vex: HoudiniVex#Rubiks_cube
- How to use vex find() instead of a multipart if statement: HoudiniVex#Search_an_array_with_find
- Some extra info on Uvs and how they work on verts vs points: Points_and_Verts_and_Prims#Uvs
- I've done it; I've done a twitter. Plan is to only use it to post updates, save folk having to visit this front page to see what's new (I think I'm the only person who actually visits websites vs getting updates via twitter or rss, silly). https://twitter.com/thecgwiki
Happy new year!
- A way to take a animated object and static camera, and replicate the motion with a static object and animated camera: fakey motion control.
- Why the 9 hotkey in houdini is the best thing ever: 9 hotkey tricks
- One of no doubt many ways to stick particles to surfaces
End of Lego Batman is
so close. So close. here! Hooray! Go watch it.
- Here's a lowbrow way of deforming a volume.
- Use the renderstate vop to control shading.
- Basic tricks on scaling with vex and matrices.
- Example of calling vex within vops using a snippet vop .
It's been a while! Busy at work with Lego Batman, and my learning has slowed a little as we knuckle down and get the film done. Anyway, new things:
- some stuff on rendering volumes with displacement,
- a trick for adding @v and @w to packed RBD after the first frame
- a few ways to use the add sop to make lines from points
- Harry Potter style pyro blendshapes: HoudiniDops#More_advecting_smoke_with_particles_.28aka_pyro_blendshapes.29
- A nice little example on moving particles along grid-like paths in HoudiniDops#Pops_and_grid_noise, and some updates and re-writes on the MayaToHoudini page after it got linked by SideFx on Facebook and Twitter, and my site traffic went up 10x!
- A long form tutorial that's taken me a while to write on The_solver_sop.
- A new long form tutorial, on Points_and_Verts_and_Prims.
- Because it's always handy to know yet more ways to rotate things, here's more on rotation with vex.
- Nice method to emit lots of packed primitives into a rigid body sim. HoudiniDops#Emit_packed_prims_into_RBD_sim
- Growing branching structures from points, with a code walkthrough. HoudiniVex#Solver_and_wrangle_for_branching_structures
- Grow trees with particles! HoudiniDops#Grow_trees_with_particles
- Grow roads with particles! HoudiniDops#Grow_roads_with_particles
- Grow weird coral curves with particles! HoudiniDops#Fake_differential_growth
- A handy way to read object transforms with vex: HoudiniVex#Get_transform_of_objects_with_optransform
- Thanks to some feedback, I've made a getting started guide for Houdini called, strangely enough, HoudiniGettingStarted. Also started work on the next long form tutorial, this one on the smoke solver: Smoke_and_Pyro
- Pyro! (Well, smoke actually) Particles! Smoke and particles! Next step in my volume learnin' is making missile trails, or any sort of smoke sim that follows the path of other objects. Here's one way using the gas 'particle to field' microsolver. HoudiniDops#Advect_smoke_with_particles.
- Had a few new users at work, which is always handy to evaluate workflow through fresh eyes, see what things have become muscle memory and need further explaining. Realised there's a lot of UI things that I take for granted now, so HoudiniUserInterfaceTips will be an attempt to document some of them.